Friday, October 22, 2010

Double edged sword


As I was putting the kids in the car after a LONG morning out running errands, an older woman stops me and says, "Wow, you took 2 of them out shopping with you!" Then I say "I actually have 4 kids." She says "Oh wow, you have 4?! You look too young to have 4 kids." To which I say, "I'm actually almost 30." "30?! You look 18!", she says. "Thank you.", I say. She then says "I have 4 kids and 12 grandchildren and am loving life. Enjoy them!" "Thank you. I will."

Why am I telling you this, you ask. Well because you don't know how much I get this. I am always being told I'm "too young" to have four kids (or 3 just a couple of months ago). While I know that I will appreciate looking younger than my true age later, I DON'T now!! I am tired of being attached to the stereotype of being a teenage, unwed mother or being judged for my choice in having 4 kids when I still have so much of my life ahead of me and how dare I have wasted my young years on having kids! As I know I am guilty of judging others, we all are, I am still amazed at how judgmental people are of the fact that we have four kids, close in age, and are young. I know I'm young, but I'm NOT a teenager. I have chosen to create this life for myself, am married to a wonderful man, and love my children , and am TIRED of having to defend it to perfect strangers!!!!! (now that's off my chest!) :)

A fault of mine is worrying. Worrying about everything, but I especially worry about what others think of me, so these judgments are always a huge deal for me and are very hard for me to shrug off. I'm always wishing I looked older to avoid this exact stereotype, but at the same time fear aging.

Its a double edged sword because as my birthday approaches (still about 9 months away - but we all know how FAST time flies) I am dreading turning the big 3-0!! Turning 30 is a HUGE fear of mine! (insert eye roll here - I know) But seriously, I feel like it marks a new chapter in my life and closes another. I know my child bearing days are over (thankfully, but still sad nonetheless to know that I will never get to enjoy that again), my days of having toddlers and even "little kids" will soon be over (some days that can't come soon enough, but I know I will miss that one day), being in my young twenties is no longer, and truly being "young" will surely disappear.

And if I'm being completely honest, I just don't want to get old! :) As many of you know, I took up running after having Peyton and really started to enjoy it. Running 20-25 miles a week was nothing and became a hobby of mine. Now, running has become a chore and it is taking its toll on my body! I know my body has been through a lot in the last 6 years (esp the last 3), but I am still amazed at how "old" I feel after getting off the treadmill or coming in from a run around the neighborhood. I guess its just a constant reminder that life is changing and I need to embrace it and enjoy the ride, no matter how old I look or how old I truly am.

No comments: