Friday, September 24, 2010

Refreshed

Today we went to the library and of course any adventure out with all 4 kids on my own is, well exactly that, an adventure! We pull into the parking lot and there isn't a spot in sight and end up in the overflow lot. Of course stress level is starting to rise knowing I'm going to have lug all 4 of them from Never Never Land into the library without getting hit by a car. The parking lot is always a challenge because of the lack of arms to carry 2 toddlers and a baby. So with both boys cooperating and holding onto the stroller that is carrying both babies we make it safely through the front door, we return our books, and head to the children's section.

I don't like to take them places where they can't be coralled because they all head in different directions and I can't keep up, but surprisingly they did AWESOME! Everyone stayed in one little section (which is no small feat with two toddlers), they all shared with each other and the other kids there, there was no complaining when it was time to go, no one ran away when we were trying to leave...It was a rather stress free trip out.

Topping it all off were the comments I got from other people. Typically I get comments that get under my skin and are hard for me to shrug off. Pretty often I get, "WOW, you have your hands full!" - which is usually code for you are insane for having 4 kids or you have no control over your kids so why did you have them (Or maybe that's me thinking that!!) :) Just kidding! Most people have very negative comments or their tone is very negative and with my stress level already so high, it just really gets to me. BUT, today as I'm watching everyone watching me handle my four kids, biting their toungue as they take it all in, one sweet lady with her toddler grandson says to me, "You are one very busy lady." To which I say, "Yes I am!Four kids keeps me moving." She says, "And you are so calm!" Me, "That's because they are all being so good. The key is to get out before someone has a meltdown".

As we're checking out, the lady checking our books out says, "All I can say is wow (as she looks in the stroller, my arms carrying Paxton and at the boys, silently counting) and you are cool as a cucumber. I am throughly impressed!!" "Thank you!", I say with a HUGE smile on my face.

Its not often that I get positive uplifting comments about handling all my kids that leave me feeling refreshed and as if I can really do this whole thing called motherhood. Often I am just trying to survive, hold my head above water, do whatever I can to get through the crazy moments without crying or screaming, and to have two people point out how well they thought I handled the kids was really nice to hear.

So, how long did their good behavior last, you ask? Until they got into their carseats and the boys were already exchanging slaps back and forth! Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Tanya

No comments: