Thursday, March 3, 2011

As I write this post listening to the boys play their nerf guns downstairs I came across this article in the Oprah magazine about a little boy who shot and killed himself with his father's gun accidently and the tears flooded my eyes to think of the despair this family must be going through and the lack of thought that was put into gun saftey in the house. I am always at a battle in my head on when its ok for boys to be boys and to play with these kinds of toys. They just don't get the seriousness of shooting a gun and that shooting a toy gun at someone in fun is vastly different from the potentially fatal outcome of shooting a real gun. Right now Jeff's guns are all locked in a gun safe and are kept a secret for the most part due to their lack of ability to understand the danger. We are believers in not allowing them to point the guns at each other or other people in a violent manner but this life altering choice for this family reminds me of how much more we still have to teach them.

No comments: